Blogging about Books!
Blogging about Books!
Blogging about Books!

Monday, June 16, 2014

Number The Stars

Madison Thornton
June 4th, 2014
ELA
Book Review: Number The Stars

The book I read was a historical fiction novel, Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry. I chose to read this book because I've heard good book reports on it, and it was suggested to me by multiple people in my class. I think it had a very good story to it, and it made me think differently about the holocaust.

This book took place in Copenhagen, Denmark during the time of World War II. The main characters of this book were Anne Marie and Ellen. The plot of this book was that Anne Marie was hanging out with Ellen, who was taking care of her younger sister Khristi. After some time passes, the Nazis start taking Jews to somewhere no one knew of. Anne Marie and her mother had many run-ins with some of the Nazi soldiers. Such as during her Uncle's funeral, and delivering a package through the woods to her Uncle's boat. Annemarie finds Ellen's necklace, the Star of David, and hopes to return it to her when she comes back home. The tone of this book was very hopeful. It kept me on my toes, and always kept me hoping that everything would work out in the end.

In my opinion, some of the strengths of the book were the details she put into telling the story, and how she used pathos to get to the readers emotions. She also used foreshadowing through the chapter subtitles, and the beginning of the chapters. From this book, I learned about the true meaning of friendship and loyalty. It taught me to help others in their time of need. I would definitely recommend this book to others. I don't think it's too hard for young children, and it's not too easy for teens. This book truly changed my perspective on certain things, and I believe it could have the same effect on a lot of others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment